Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi has admitted that the security upgrade of President Jacob Zuma's home in Nkandla, KwaZulu-Natal, has gone over budget, the City Press reported on Sunday.
"It is clear in this case that people went over the budget," Nxesi reportedly told Kaya FM host John Perlman on Thursday.
He reportedly said an internal public works investigation into the upgrade would be concluded next week, and that the findings would be made public.
Nxesi told Perlman it was "very clear" the prices charged for the upgrade were "questionable". He blamed the building industry, and said it was "likely you will be exploited".
He said the public had the right to be upset about the cost of the upgrade -- reportedly about R250 million -- but should give his department a chance to investigate.
Zuma told Parliament last month the government was paying to upgrade the security at his home, but that he had taken out a bond to pay for the rest of the upgrade.