About 10 000 jobs could be lost in the mining industry, National Union of Mineworkers' (NUM) general secretary Frans Baleni said on Thursday.
"We are talking about 10 000 jobs lost," he told media on the sidelines of the Congress of SA Trade Unions' (Cosatu) conference in Midrand.
The industry had already lost 4800 jobs between February and June, he said.
Lonmin planned to close down a shaft operated by Murray and Roberts on contract. This would lead to 1200 lost jobs. It had also cancelled plans for a new development, costing a potential 3000 jobs.
Anglo Platinum had issued a section 189 notice in terms of the Labour Relations Act to retrench 2000 workers.
Impala had told the NUM some of its shafts were not profitable, which could lead to even more job losses.
"All of these things are happening while we are engaging the industry and DMR [department of mineral resources] to prevent a jobs bloodbath," Baleni said.
This comes as "expectation has been created in the industry" after a deal was reached with Lonmin of wage increases of up to 22 percent.
Baleni said the NUM had been getting calls from members in the coal, platinum and gold mining sectors wanting similar increases.
The NUM was worried that the Lonmin deal would lead to copycat demands.