FAST food chain Nando’s has turned the tables on pay-TV service DStv, saying it will not flight its controversial "xenophobia" advertisement on its channels despite DStv lifting its ban.
The advert was banned by DStv and eTV - both of which initially aired it - earlier this month, days after the SABC rejected it on the grounds it could be misinterpreted and perpetuate xenophobia and even violence.
Nando’s marketing manager Thabang Ramogase said it would not flight the advertisement on DStv as it was unhappy with the way it dealt with the matter.
› Nando's snubs DStv over advert
› Second platinum mine shuts down
DStv media sales CEO Chris Hitchings on Friday said the company had reversed its decision after the Advertising Standards Authority of SA (ASA) dismissed complaints about the advert.
Mr Hitchings said: "We respect the ASA processes and the ruling on the commercial. We will reinstate the flighting of the commercial shortly."
But Mr Ramogase said it was not interested in the DStv offer as Nando’s saw it as a response only to a competitor’s decision.
"Their decision only came after TopTV said it would air the advertisement. They should have stuck to their principles and not jumped on the bandwagon like they did when SABC decided to reject the advertisement," he said.
Mr Ramogase said it would flight the advert on TopTV. He had not received any indication from the SABC or eTV whether they would change their decision.
E.tv told Business Day on Friday that it stood by its decision not to flight the advertisement. The SABC could not be reached for comment, but it is understood it would also not flight it.
On June 15, the ASA dismissed complaints it had received from viewers and ruled that the Nando’s commercial did not contravene its Code of Advertising Practice. The advertisement was within the parameters of hyperbole and/or harmless parody, it ruled.
The ASA said if one viewed the entire commercial, it was apparent that the xenophobic voice and opinion was ridiculed and made to be irrational.